Towns in the Channel Country & far west
When you travel north of Birdsville, first along the Eyre Developmental Road and then on the Diamentina Developmental Road, you'll experience ture Outback landscapes.
Distances between settlements are quite long, so be prepared, take plenty of water, and fuel up when you get the chance.
- Bedourie - Population ~120 - 188km north of Birdsville,
Bedourie Royal Hotel, Ph: 07-4746 1201 - this old country pub operates since 1886, and hasn't changed much since then. The Royal Hotel offers air-conditioned units, counter meals, and country hospitality.
Simpson Desert Oasis, Ph: 07-4746 1291 - air-conditioned motel units and cabins, a caravan park with powered and non-powered sites, a restaurant, a bar, and a fuel station, the Oasis offers all facilities a traveller needs. It's a great place to stay.
Visitors Information: Shire Chambers, Herbert Street, Bedourie, Ph: 07-4746 1202 Opening Hours Monday to Friday 8:30 am - 4:30 pm
There's also a police and a small clinic in Bedourie. Just in case you need these services.
- Boulia - Population ~230 - 196km north of Bedourie
Australian Hotel/Motel, Ph: (07) 4746 3144 - located in the main street, the Australian Hotel offers air-conditioned hotel rooms, modern motel units, cold beer on tap in the pub, a restaurant, and you can relax in the beer garden.
Desert Sands Motel, Ph. (07) 4746 3000 Herbert Street, Herbert St. The 12 motel units offer great luxury, there is also two-bedroom self-contained unit available.
Boulia Caravan Park, Phone: (07) 4746 3122, is situated on the banks of Burke River, about 5 minutes from the town centre.
Wirrilyerna Station Stay, Ph:(07) 4746 1253, this working cattle and sheep station is about 40 km west of Boulia along the Donohue Highway. The station offers 11 comfortable units, camping and caravan sites, barbecue area.
Visitor Information: Min Min Encounter & Tourist Information Centre, Herbert Street, Boulia Ph: 07-4746 3386
- Windorah - Population ~150 - 386km east of Birdsville
Western Star Hotel/Motel, 15 Albert Street, Ph: 07 4656 3166. The charming old country hotel offers hotel rooms with shared facilities in a separate building. The motel section has 4 modern rooms, again in a different building of the complex. Finally, there's the Sandhill Grill that offers breakfast, lunch and dinner.
Cooper Cabins, 11 Edward Street, Ph: 07 4656 3101. Modern, fully self-contained cabins, a kiosk, and a barbecue area. The friendly hosts were very helpful, they even rang other places in town to find us a place to sleep cause the cabins were fully booked.
Windorah Caravan Park, Albert Street, Ph: 07 4656 3063. The caravan park is set in bush surroundings and offers 32 powered sites, and a huge camping area.
Other services in Windorah include an Outback Shop, Service Station, post office and an Outpatient Clinic.
Visitor Information: 7 Maryborough Street, Ph: 07 4656 3063. The information centre is next to the museum.
Thargomindah - Population ~220 - 197km west of Cunnamulla
The town has full facilities and it offers a few activities to keep visitors busy for a day or two.
Accommodation in Thargomindah
- Thargomindah Oasis Motel & Restaurant, Ph: (07) 4655 3155, Dowling Street,
The motel offers 10 air-conditioned rooms with refrigerator, toaster and phone. Tariffs include breakfast. The restaurant is licensed.
- Bulloo River Hotel / Motel, Ph (07) 4655 3125, Dowling Street has 6 rooms, a restaurant and counter meals. It's a friendly pub, so enjoy a drink at the bar and a yarn with the locals.
- Big 4 Explorers Caravan Park, Ph: 07 4655 3307, 88 Dowling Street,
- This fairly new caravan park has 6 self-contained, very comfortable cabins with en-suites. Budget bunkhouse rooms are available. The camping area includes powered sites, camp kitchen & BBQ area.
Farmstays in the area
- Kilcowera Station, Ph: (07) 4655 4960, this is a large cattle station 90 km south of Thargomindah on the road to Hungerford. Experience great country hospitality in unique and comfortable shearers quarters. Campsites are also available. Kilcowera is a great place for bird watching, bushwalking and nature photography. Checkout some awesome photos taken on Kilcowera.
- Thyangra - Bulloo River Retreat Ph (07) 4655 4341, 60 km south of Thargomindah, located on the Bulloo River.
Other services in Thargomindah
- The General Store, Dowling Street, offers a wide range of groceries, including fresh fruits and vegetables, souvenirs, toys and clothing. The store is open daily.
- Crawfo's Motor & Shell Roadhouse is situated on the truck bypass in Thargomindah. The roadhouse offers fuel, tyres & repairs, camping, takeaway food, showers, toilets, and RACQ services.
- Thargo Motors, Dowling Street is the local Toyota dealer.
- Outpatient Centre, Dowling Street, close to the caravan park. The flying doctor visits once a week, and in case of emergency.
Ph: (07) 4655 3399, Dowling Street. The information centre is in an old mud brick building that was the hospital until 1976.
Find more information about the towns on these pages.
Towns along the Matilda Highway
Cloncurry - Population ~4800
Being one of the larger Outback towns, Cloncurry offers a wide range of accommodation and good shopping facilities.
- Cloncurry Motel, 41 Sheaffe Street, Phone:(07) 4742 1866
- Leichhardt Hotel Motel, 5 Scarr Street, Ph: (07) 4742 1389, 21 spacious motel units, guest laundry, bistro style meals, bottle shop
- Post Office Hotel/Motel, Sheaffe Street, Phone: (07) 4742 1411, 23 Air-conditioned rooms - traditional pub style, 8 Motel Rooms
- Cloncurry Caravan Park Oasis, McIlwraith Street, Tel: 07 4742 1313, large caravan park with shady trees, comfortable cabins, laundry.
- Visitor Information: Cloncurry/Mary Kathleen Park Museum & Visitor Information Centre, Ph/Fax (07)4742 1361, McIlwraith Street, Cloncurry
Winton - Population ~950
Winton offers a good range of accommodation, shops and entertainment.
- Matilda Country Tourist Park, 43 Chirnside Street, Ph/Fax: (07) 4657 1607
- Australian Hotel, 70 Elderslie St, Ph: (07) 4657 1214
- Banjo's Overnight & Holiday Units,64 Manuka St, Ph: (07) 4657 1213, Banjo's is a great place to stay. There are 8 fully self-contained ground floor units with veranda, full kitchen facilities, spacious bathroom, queen size beds (linen included), air-conditioning, overhead fans. Relax in the garden, enjoy the pool and a barbecue.
- North Gregory Hotel / Motel, 67 Elderslie Street, Ph: (07) 4657 0647, the grand old hotel in the town centre offers hotel rooms with shared facilities, motel rooms, and free unpowered camping sites. Breakfast is included in the tariff. Have a cool drink in the bar, it is fun.
- Carisbrooke Station, located 35 km west of Winton on the road to Boulia, Ph: (07) 4657 0084. This working sheep and cattle station offers accommodation in self-contained units. caravan and camping facilities. Experience a fascinating part of the Outback, and abundant wildlife. Bookings are required and can be made at the Waltzing Matilda Centre.
- Visitor Information: Waltzing Matilda Centre, 53 Elderslie Street, Ph: (07) 4657 1466
Longreach - Population ~3100
This is just a short list for accommodation in Longreach. The town offers a good range of old-style hotels (located in the main street), motels and caravan parks. Shopping facilities are plentiful in Longreach.
- Longreach Motor Inn, 84 Galah Street
This 3.5 Star motel is right in the town centre. 57 air-conditioned rooms offer alll modern amenities. There is a sparkling pool and a guest barbecue area in the beautiful garden.
The Vita Bella restaurant is licensed and offers a mediterranean taste.
- Albert Park Motor Inn, Sir Hudson Fysh Drive, is at the edge of Longreach, close to the airport and the Stockmans Hall of Fame.
The 56 ground-floor motel rooms are equipped with fridge, tea and coffee making facilites, phone, TV and air-conditioning.
Relax in the sun-protected pool area. The motel is set on a large landscaped ground that invites native animals to visit. Watch the wildlife, anjoy your visit.
- Central Hotel, Eagle Street, one of the great old pubs in the main street that offer you a bed.
- Longreach Motel, 127 Eagle Street, this is the only motel in the town centre
- Aussie Better Cabins, Sir Hudson Fysh Drive, fully serviced cabins
- Gunnadoo Caravan Park & Cabins, Thrush Road, large park with camping facilities and cabins. Enjoy the campfire and occasional performances of unique Aussie bush poets.
- Visitor Information: The Information office is a replica of the first Qantas booking office, Ph: (07) 4658 4150
Find more information about the towns on these pages.