Towns & facilities in the Flinders Ranges A - Z
- Angorichina Tourist Village, Parachilna Gorge Road, west of Blinman. This is a well-equipped outpost with beautiful scenery around. Self-contained units & cottages, campsites, dorm-beds, store & fuel are available.
- Arkaba Station, 23km north of Hawker. The station offers cottages, bed & breakfast, bush camping. Dean and Lizzie Rasheed conduct tours around their station.
- Blinman - Population ~ 22
Blinman Hotel, offers modern accommodation in an historic building and a caravan site. The restaurant serves delicious meals.
The Blinman cottage, and the Captains cottage have more accommodation in Blinman. A general store is available, but no fuel.
The Wild Lime Cafe in the old school house has great food and an arts gallery.
Alpana and Wirrealpa stations also have accommodation facilities.
- Copley Copley Caravan Park, just north of Leigh Creek. This caravan park in northern Flinders Ranges is already on the edge of the Outback. A small place with very friendly hosts, comfortable, tables and benches for your meal, public campfire to talk with fellow travellers, and even flowers in the shower block.
Hawker Population ~ 300
The town has full facilities. Hawker is a good place to stay and explore the Flinders Ranges National Park.
Accommodation in Hawker
Restaurants in Hawker
- Hawker Motel/Hotel, has rooms in the old hotel with shared bathrooms, and a motel section
- Flinders Ranges Caravan Park, Leigh Creek Road, large park opposite the railway station
- Big 4 Hawker Caravan Park, Chaceview Tce (Wilpena Rd), cabins, campsites, and a lovely BBQ area
- Check out accommodation in Hawker
Shopping in Hawker
- Old Ghan Restaurant, located in the old railway station, offers a range of local food like kangaroo and quandong desserts
- Sightseers Cafe, opp. the information booth
- Hawker Shopping Centre, Wilpena Rd., has everything from mars bars to the essential tools a traveller might need
- Gloede’s General Store, Cnr Wilpena Rd & Cradock St has an extremely well-stocked camping supplies section
- Hawker Motors, service depot for RAA, spare parts, batteries, tyres, books and maps
- Range View Motors, Wilpena Rd, is the Toyota agent
Visitor Information: Hawker Motors, Cnr. Wilpena & Cradock Roads. For the Flinders Ranges National Park: NP & Wildlife Office, Ph: (08) 8648 4244, Cnr Wilpena Rd & Elder Tce.
Leigh Creek Population ~ 1000
Leigh Creek is a service town for the surrounding coalfields. Actually, the old town was moved to its present place in order to mine the coal.
Accommodation in Leigh Creek
- Leigh Creek Tavern, air conditioned motel rooms and cabins. Check prices, availability, or book your Leigh Creek accommodation now.
- Caravan Park, booking and enquiries at Leigh Creek South Motors, Ph: (08) 8675 2016. the caravan park is out of town and offers powered & unpowered sites, ensuite cabins, standard & budget cabins.
Shopping and other services
- Foodland supermarket
- Cooke’s Outback Motors (RAA)
- Open Cut Cafe
- Leigh Creek South Motors, offers pulic phones, Toilets, Showers, Snacks, Internet, Spare Parts, Tyre Repairs, Windscreen Service, Minor Mechanical Repairs, Bottled Gas / Refills, Vehicle Accessories. Nearby Towing
Wilpena Pound Resort
The resort offers motel style accommodation, a large campground with shady trees, mini supermarket, service station, public phone, bottle shop. Tours and scenic flights are available. There's an information centre to obtain useful information about the Flinders Ranges National Park, and to purchase the entry fee for the park.
"Captain Starlight" restaurant (bookings necessary) is open for breakfast and dinner, "Poddy Dodger’s" lounge bar & bistro is the place for a drink, a light meal, and a chat with other travellers.
Are you looking for a room? You can choose from different room styles at Wilpena Pound. All rooms were refurbished and upgraded to 4 star accommodation during the first months in 2009.
Check prices, availability, or book your Wilpena Pound accommodation now
The campground is a beautiful place to enjoy the famous Aussie sky at night. I thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Wilpena campground, although the nights were a bit frosty in September.