Bar work in the Outback

by Sonia

Outback pub at Toompine, Qld

Outback pub at Toompine, Qld

Hi there.
My daughter is currently travelling in Australia for one year and has seen a job advertised through an agency for bar work in an Outback hotel. She has no bar experience but has been told that if she takes the job she can do her RSA through them. Is this common?
Slightly concerned as she is on her own and just want to be sure that this is a genuine job opportunity.
Would you know of any pitfalls or from others experience things that she should be aware of.

Many thanks for your help.

Kind regards,
Sonia Whiteman

Comments for Bar work in the Outback

Click here to add your own comments

Aug 23, 2009
Toompine Pub
by: Rita

Hi Terry,

the photo was taken by my husband a couple of years ago. We stopped at the Toompine Pub for a drink.
Unfortunately, the lady at the bar didn't have much time for a chat. She said the men were outside chasing a brown snake, and she has to look after them, and reminding them that there's other work to be done.
So we sipped our soft drinks and made friends with the cute Jack Russell.



Aug 22, 2009
RE photo of Toompine Hotel
by: Terry Everson

Hi Sonia, I can`t help you with your enquiry regarding Bar work but I was interested to see your photo of the Toompine Hotel Bar. Many years ago I spent an enjoyable few hours here with my father the then owner of the Hotel, Fred Houghton. He was a very interesting gentleman with stories of his life on the land. I always remember my father just wandering into his residence which was attached to the pub and began playing his piano. Years later I passed that way again and his son was running the pub.I took photos of Fred and sent them to him and I still have a nice letter he sent to me. Regards from Terry.

Aug 22, 2009
RSA Course
by: Rita

Hi Sonia,

I am afraid, I don't have any personal experience with job agencies in Australia. However, the fact that the agency offers your daughter to get her RSA (Responsible Service of Alcohol) certificate, seems that this is a genuine offer.

In Australia it is required by law that everyone who is involved in selling and supplying alcohol undertakes a RSA course. The certificate obtained in a certain state might not be accepted in another Australian state.

I take it for granted that your daughter has a working holiday visa, because that's what she needs to take employment in Australia.

I met quite a few young women working in Outback bars, and they all loved their job. You're daughter will be fine.:)


Click here to add your own comments

Return to Questions and Answers.

Enjoy these tips and articles in the Outback Guide